Thursday, December 16, 2010

Just a Day Downtown


In Haiti it seems I’m always waiting for something. Waiting in line. Waiting for friends. Waiting to eat. Waiting for transportation. Waiting for the Internet. Well, one day I was waiting downtown for a tap-tap.

Now, when I wait on the street I always draw a crowd. Needless to say, I stand out. People gather to try out their English, shake my hand or ask for money. Usually, I enjoy these times. I get to talk and interact with some great people. I always end up laughing and smiling. And, of course, I get to practice my Creole.

Little did I know that learning the language could be a double-edged sword.

This day, while I waited on a street corner, there was a young girl among the crowd. She was maybe 12 years old or so and I heard her say something. She said, “I could be your daughter. If you send me to school I promise I’d be a good student.”

I stopped joking.

She continued, “I know how to cook. I know how to do laundry. I could clean your house.”

She had my full attention now.

She went on, “If you don’t want a daughter I could be like your wife. But you don’t have to marry me.”

What did I do?

I drove away. My ride had come and I left. I drove away. What could I have done? I can’t support a child. I don’t have a place to live, so how could I provide a child one? Of course, I was saddened. It makes me sick that children have to live like she does. But I couldn’t do anything. I wasn’t in the position to help. So I left.

A few weeks later I realized something. I realized that I had lied to myself. I deceived myself into thinking I was justified. I felt bad for the girl and so I was excused of any action.

The truth is I didn’t want to be bothered. By feeling sorry for her I figured that let me off the hook. But a feeling can never take the place of action. The Lord has reminded me of that truth.

Now, the question becomes can I really live out the command of, “Love your neighbor as yourself?”

No comments: